Information for tenants & FAQs

If you are looking to log a maintenance request, click here

Thank you for renting with Aspire Property Management. These FAQs are designed to answer all your questions, so if you have a question for your property manager, or you want to know something about your tenancy, then check here first to see if your question has already been answered.

Set-up online access

You can access all the details of your tenancy online via our portal called PropertyMe. 

Please set up your access here.

In PropertyMe you can:

Setting up your access is very important as you’ll need to be able to refer to the information on this platform.

A illustration of a house for rent

Paying your rent

If you have just started a new tenancy with Aspire, you will have received an email with your tenancy agreement outlining how to pay your bond (4 weeks’ rent) and rent deposit (2 weeks’ rent). These payments must be made before you can move in. The 2 weeks’ rent deposit is used as your first 2 weeks’ rent, so then you start paying 1 weeks’ rent in advance at the end of the first 2 weeks – these dates are in your tenancy agreement. 

The bank account for paying bond, deposit, and rent is:

Aspire Property Services Ltd

Please use your mobile phone number as your payment reference so we can easily attribute the payment to you. 

Using the account above, set up a weekly automatic payment for your weekly rent amount, leaving your account either one or two days before your rent is due. Your rent amount and first rent payment date can be found on your tenancy agreement.

When do I get the keys?

Your property manager will be in touch with you 48 hours before the start of your tenancy to arrange getting the keys to you. In some instances you can collect them from our office, and other times they will be left at the property in a secure lockbox. You can only receive the keys on the first day of your tenancy and only when the bond and 2 weeks’ rent deposit has been received into our bank account. You cannot move it before the start date on your tenancy agreement. 

Maintenance and repairs 

If you notice any maintenance or repair issues, please notify your property manager as soon as possible via our online system here. We will assess the issue and determine the best course of action.

Please note that tenants are responsible for reporting any damage they have caused to a rental property during their tenancy. We encourage all tenants to report any issues promptly.

Property inspections

As part of your tenancy, we are obliged, for insurance purposes, to conduct four inspections annually of the property, to ensure everything is in good condition and that smoke alarms are working. Photographs of each room and the outside of the property are taken. We also check plumbing so we will open some cupboards and we check things like the oven and extractor fans etc. We will provide you with notice before conducting an inspection. A property inspection is nothing to worry about, our agents are trained in how to do these efficiently while minimising the interruption to your quiet enjoyment of the property. You can choose to be present at the property, or we can let ourselves in with the keys we have, it’s your choice. 

Communication with Aspire

We are acting as your landlord, and all communication about your tenancy should be via your property manager. Email is our preferred method of contact with our tenants as then we have a written record of all communication with you. If there is a maintenance issue please log this directly here and your property manager or our maintenance team will get back to you ASAP, once you have let us know what the issue or request is. Our property managers work 9am – 5.30pm, Monday – Friday. If you contact them outside of these hours, please don’t expect them to reply until they are back in the office. For emergencies outside of office hours, please call our main line on 09 550 8762 and our on-call team will attend to your emergency request. 

Smoke alarms

Smoke alarms are essential for your safety. Aspire Property Management is committed to ensuring all rental properties are equipped with working smoke alarms and these will be tested at the routine inspections. If you notice one making a chirping noise, this means the battery is running low. Please replace the batteries. Under the Residential Tenancies Act landlords are responsible for providing working smoke alarms at the start of a tenancy, and tenants are responsible for keeping them working by replacing the batteries (if required, some smoke alarms don’t need batteries to be replaced). 


You may not have a pet at the property unless this is negotiated with the landlord first, and ideally at the start of your tenancy. Additional clauses will have to be added to the tenancy agreement to cover any damage the pet may cause. It’s a landlord’s right to decline a pet at the property, but you can always ask, as some landlords are happy to have them. 

Adding a new flatmate

Occupancy numbers must not exceed what is stated on your tenancy agreement. We understand that from time-to-time a flatmate will leave and you will want to replace them. Every person living in a property needs to be on the tenancy agreement, and background checks and credit checks done before they are approved. Please get approval from your property manager before undertaking this process. There is a fee payable of $175 + GST for each change of flatmate, which covers the background and credit checks, reference checking and administration. 

Ending a fixed-term tenancy early

This is called a break-lease, and you can find a clause on your tenancy agreement about this. A break-lease can only occur by mutual agreement of the tenant and the landlord, so the landlord can deny your request. If approved you will be liable for all associated costs and rent owing until suitable replacement tenants are found. Please contact your property manager if you are needing to end your lease before the end date. 

End of tenancy – what do I need to do?

Whether you are on a fixed term agreement that is coming to an end, or you’re on a periodic agreement, you need to notify us in writing that you plan to end the tenancy, and you must give us the correct amount of notice. Please see your tenancy agreement to find your notice period. If you’re on a fixed term tenancy, you still must provide 28 days’ notice that you are ending the tenancy at the end of the fixed term. Once you have provided the notice, you must leave the premises no later than 11.59pm on the last day of your tenancy, and you must leave the property in a clean and tidy condition. The keys must be dropped to our office during office hours, or an alternative can be arranged with your property manager. Please ensure you read this information about end-of-tenancy cleaning. 

How do I get my bond back?

Once your tenancy has ended your property manager will complete an exit inspection, to ensure the property is in the same condition it was at the start of the tenancy (allowing for normal wear and tear). Once any discrepancies have been settled and the final water bill has been generated and paid, the property manager will then email you the bond refund paperwork. A bond refund usually takes 1 – 2 weeks, however extra time needs to be allowed if there are disputes regarding outstanding money or if there is damage to the property.

Water charges – how it works

Landlords are responsible for paying fixed charges, and tenants are responsible for paying usage charges. You will only receive a bill for the usage, and you may receive this from Aspire or directly from Watercare. You must pay each bill on time, follow the payment instructions on your bill. You will not receive your full bond back at the end of the tenancy if you haven’t been keeping current with your water bills.

Insurance – does the landlord’s insurance cover my belongings? 

No, your landlord’s insurance policy will not cover your personal belongings as a tenant. Landlord insurance typically only covers the landlord’s property and liability, such as the building and any fixtures and fittings. It does not cover the personal belongings of tenants, so it’s important for tenants to obtain their own insurance policy to protect their possessions. As a tenant, you can take out contents insurance to protect your personal belongings against damage or loss from events such as theft, fire, or water damage. Contents insurance typically covers items such as furniture, electronics, clothing, and other personal possessions. It’s important to note that while contents insurance is not legally required in New Zealand, it’s a good idea to consider taking out a policy to protect your possessions and give you peace of mind.

Mould – how to prevent it and how to get rid of it

Mould is a common issue in New Zealand rental properties, particularly in damp or poorly ventilated homes. If you’re concerned about mould in your rental property, here are some steps you can take to prevent it and get rid of it:

  1. Increase ventilation: Ensure that your home is properly ventilated by opening windows, using extractor fans in bathrooms and kitchens, and allowing air to circulate throughout the property.
  2. Reduce moisture: To prevent mould growth, it’s important to reduce the amount of moisture in your home. This can be done by wiping down surfaces that are prone to moisture, such as windowsills and showers, and ensuring that there are no leaks or standing water in the property.
  3. Keep the home warm: Mould is more likely to grow in colder temperatures, so keeping your home warm can help prevent its growth. Use heaters, the fire or heat pump to keep the property warm.
  4. Report it to your property manager: If you notice mould in your rental property, report it to us as soon as possible so we can investigate the issue.

To get rid of mould, you can:

  1. Use a mould remover: There are a number of mould removers that can be used to clean affected areas. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully and wear protective gear such as gloves and a mask when using these products.
  2. Dry out the area: After cleaning the mould, it’s important to ensure that the affected area is completely dry to prevent the mould from returning. Use a dehumidifier or a fan to help dry out the space.
  3. Seek professional help: If the mould is particularly severe or widespread, please report it to your property manager and we can assess the situation and get it remedied. 

Pests – prevention and management

According to the Residential Tenancies Act, both landlords and tenants have responsibilities when it comes to pest management and control. Landlords are responsible for ensuring that the rental property is in a reasonable state of cleanliness and that it is free from pests when the tenancy begins. Tenants are responsible for keeping the property clean and tidy and not doing anything that would attract pests or make an existing pest problem worse. Tenants must also notify their property manager as soon as possible if they become aware of a pest problem. If a pest infestation occurs during the tenancy that is not the fault of the tenant, the landlord is responsible for taking reasonable steps to eradicate the pests. However, if the infestation is caused by the tenant’s actions or inactions, then the tenant may be responsible for the cost of pest control. At the first signs of a pest infestation, please let your property manager know so the correct course of action can be decided. 

I’m locked out of my property – what do I do?

It’s a tenant’s responsibility to ensure they have a key, or access to a key to the property at all times. If you lock yourself out, or lose the key, you need to call a locksmith to gain access to your property – and you bear the cost of this. If you are locked out of your apartment, please contact your building manager. 

I’m not happy with my property manager, what can I do? 

We pride ourselves on excellent service for both landlords and tenants. In the event that you are not happy with the service your property manager is providing, you can let us know here, and we can take steps to improve your experience. 

What is the Residential Tenancies Act?

The Residential Tenancies Act governs the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants in New Zealand. It sets out the rules for things like rent increases, bond payments, and maintenance obligations. You can refer to the full Act here. Another useful website is Tenancy Services where you can have all of your questions about tenancies answered.

Can my rent be increased, and by how much? 

According to the Residential Tenancies Act, a landlord can increase the rent of a rental property, but they must give the tenant at least 60 days’ written notice before the increase takes effect, and they can only increase the rent once every 12 months. The increase must be considered reasonable and in line with market rents for similar properties in the area.

Drains and gutters – who is responsible for keeping them clear?

Landlords are responsible for ensuring that the rental property is in a reasonable state of repair, and this includes keeping gutters and drains clear and free from blockages. However, tenants are responsible for notifying the landlord as soon as possible if they become aware of any issues with the gutters or drains. Tenants should report any leaks, blockages, or damage to the gutters or drains as soon as they notice them so that the landlord can take action to rectify the issue. It’s helpful if tenants can sweep away any leaves and debris from outdoor drains that are easily accessible. If a blockage is deemed to have been caused by the tenant, then the tenant is liable for the bill to clear the drain. 


You will receive your rental property with all of the lightbulbs working (unless there is a special case where a fitting cannot be repaired but this will have been noted in the entry inspection. It’s the tenants responsibility to replace lightbulbs as they stop working. If there is a complicated situation such as a large bar lightbulb in the kitchen, then check with your property manager before replacing.